Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Talk Like a Pirate Day


Note: I've waited patiently to use this for almost a year.

Wednesday September 19th 2007 is Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Avast, me hearties - for those of thee that be unaware of the fact, today be International Talk Like A Pirate Day, the day 'pon which people from Land's End to Cape Horn do talk like Pirates.

The day be the idea of two mumping villains from the colonies, John Baur (also known as Ol' Chum Bucket) and Mark Summers (or Cap'n Slappy, to thems that he call friend).

Cap'n Slappy, it is said, did settle 'pon September 19 as the best date for Talk Like A Pirate Day as it were the birthday of his ex-wench, and thus the easier for the rememberin'.

International Talk Like A Pirate day now be celebrated in many countries and on the high seas, for it be the greatest day known to man or beast.

If ye be wantin' to talk like a pirate, then ye should pay heed to our list of pirate phrases yonder. Savvy?

Pirate to Not Pirate Phrasebook:

Ahoy! - Hello
Avast! - Oi, you!
Yarrrr! - Used to intensify the previous statment, e.g. 'I quite fancy a cup of tea. Yaarrrr!'
Arrrr! - Innit (see also)
Dog - Person who is disapproved of
Lubber, Landlubber - One who is not a seaman, an incompetent person (c.f. Muggle)
Mumping villain - see 'Dog'
Slab-sided bugger - see 'Dog'
Wretched scrofulous whoreson bilge rat - see 'Dog'
Splice the mainbrace - What you say to make people do something on a ship
Luff, me hearties! - What you say when 'splice the mainbrace' doesn't work
Aye - Aiiee
Yo ho - Hello woman

Some jokes for the day...

What did the pirate movie projectionist say to the little boy?
Hey boy, only PG... nothing ARRRRRRRRRrrrr!

What part of the Bible does a pirate like to read?
The story about the ARRRRrrrrrk!

Where does a pirate go to find a hamburger?
The golden ARRRRRRches!

What's the name of a Russian pirate captain?
The CZARRRRRR!

Why do pirates sail in boats?
Because they can't drive CARRRRRrrrrrss!

13 comments:

Schmoop said...

Thanks for stopping by my Blarrrrrrg yesterday. Cheers!!

Anonymous said...

I'm not really sure what the point of "Talk Like A Pirate Day" is. I mean I get you're supposed to talk like a pirate, I just don't understand why.

Guess there are some things I'm just not meant to understand.

Dazd said...

Me either Kristine...but I needed a great reason to post that picture. Arrrrrr!

LOL

Anonymous said...

pirat cats realy sould not drink an drive a ship hr hr

sue said...

It's FUN! Love the pic... lol!

cmk said...

Ahoy! Love the pictarrrrrrhhhhhhh! (That about does it for my attempt at talking like a pirate.)

Anonymous said...

um, err....

"Arrrrgh"

Thats all I got for pirate talk

Anonymous said...

I thought I had heard of everything - then no. I didn't know we had a day just to talk like a pirate - but ok...btw dazed, chapter 3 is up...

Anonymous said...

Well, the picture is adorable....

Lemon Stand said...

I just don't get the meaning of this day but when I talked to my husband who is out of town at the moment, he was talking really funny and then said that I was not following the rules. All I said was "Ackkkk!"

Hopefully he will make sense tomorrow...

Joni said...

Scurrrrrrrrvy 'tis a fine worrrrrrrd.Arrrrrr.

Sparrow said...

How do pirates steer?
By the STARRRRRRS!

Pirates' favorite hangout?
In BAAARRRRRRS!

Pirates' favorite planet?
MARRRRRRS!

Pirates' favorite place to shop?
BaZAAAAAAARRRRRS!

Were do Pirates keep their jelly?
In JAARRRRRRRS!

What's a Pirate's favorite intrument?
GuitARRRRRRRS

Ok, I'm done now.

The Sarcasticynic said...

From what organization does a pirate get an invitation to join on his 50th birthday?

ARRRRRP.

(sorry this is late ...)