Monday, August 21, 2006

A Musical Intermission


The last day of the 150th Indiana State Fair was yesterday. As I finished my morning obligations, I headed over towards the Pioneer Village. I look forward to visiting this area each year and I still walk away having seen or learned something new. Walking into the Pioneer Village is like taking a journey back in time. Everyone dresses in era clothing and everything is handmade the traditional way. I'm always impressed with the blacksmithing and woodworking folks. How anyone can take something in its raw form and transform it into a work of art is truly amazing. And let us not forget those ladies who sew quilts. These quilts are sewn by hand without the use of machines. I'm positive my fingers would be arthritic within weeks and my eyesight would become minimal.

The highlight of my ventures through the Pioneer Village is the bluegrass singers and instrumentalists that envelop the air with enchanting melodies from days gone by. Yesterday’s group was rather large and as presented by the regulars, including guests of notoriety. I’ll admit I’m not one who remembers names but their notoriety was within the local bluegrass music community. I grew up listening to country/bluegrass music. My Grandmother, God rest her soul, was a huge fan and we spent many a Saturday night watching Hee-Haw. Ok…enough about me…Fiddles, mandolin, guitar, bass fiddle, banjo, autoharp and many more instruments I’m failing to mention entertained me for 20 minutes. And of course there were the singers! I listened to The Indiana Waltz, Mississippi Sawyer and Beautiful Maggie. There were even a few couples dancing during Indiana Waltz and Mississippi Sawyer. I would’ve participated only if I knew how to dance. The crowd’s mood was refreshing and full of enthusiasm. Each song ended with an applause from the rather large crowd of 50 people or so. They continued playing as I strolled through the building stopping to talk and admire the handywork that time has almost forgotten. It's a shame that most of these fine examples of workmanship will slowly dissipate as time marches forward. History has a way of repeating itself and I hope that history will someday breathe new life into workmanship of days gone by.

I left the area, with a renewed spirit, and returned to my obligations. Unfortunately, by the time my afternoon shift had concluded, the players and singers had finished for the evening. I bid adieu to the 150th Indiana State Fair leaving satisfied and with fulfillment of learning new things plus spending quality time with family and friends.

No comments: