Monday, August 14, 2006

Only a Biker knows...

...why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.



I've always thought that motorcycles are the best therapy, a lot cheaper than psychiatrists. I used to own a motorcycle, in my younger days, and still have that burning desire for the open road. Although we were a cultural mixture of riders and not even closely resembling a biker group, we still shared the camaraderie. And this past weekend was no exception. Good friends of mine (Pinky and DNR) belong to the Patriot Guard and I always keep abreast of their events. I always hear of good times, people and food. They invited me to attend a Summerfest Parade in North Manchester, Indiana. The local event planners had asked the Patriot Guard Riders to participate in their parade to help honor the military personnel of past, present and future.

As I stated in my other post, I was apprehensive at first but that feeling quickly dissolved minutes after our arrival. Yes, I’ll admit, it was a little overwhelming arriving at the staging house with 20 or so motorcycles parked out front. Seeing most everyone in leather and riding apparel left one’s imagination to run wild. However, after many introductions I felt at ease. Each introduction was accompanied by a smile, firm handshake and a respectful “look in the eye”. And all the introductions were warm and genuine. Of course I was the outsider…but it didn’t remain that way for long. I was asked to participate in the parade. I had two responsibilities; 1. Throw candy to the kids and 2. Make sure the riders were safe and hydrated. Easy enough…ride in the pick-up truck leading the procession and make sure everyone has a good time.

As the parade assembled at the high school, the Patriot Guard Riders opened the trailer and handed everyone Old Glory. We were asked to line the street and present the Stars and Stripes to the local VFW float. What a glorious moment…to see each and every one of the VFW participants stand and salute the Patriot Guard Riders followed by applause from the parade participants.

Apparently I resembled an outsider even mingling with the Patriot Guard. I was christened hastily by an arm band stating I belonged with the Patriot Guard Riders. I’m sure my elation was showing as a picture was taken. I won’t post it here…I’d rather revel in the moment privately, so to speak.

I'll post more later...Part II with more pictures.

No comments: