Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Parade - Part II



Ok…where did I leave off the last post? Oh yes, revel in my moment of elation. The parade started and I was enjoying the cool breeze from the tailgate. I had two handfuls of candy ready to toss to gleeful children. This won’t be difficult, I thought, as I’m riding and not walking. As we approached the crowd, the ride captain asked that I act as tailgunner, on foot, and toss candy while walking. Not a bad idea since there was another pick-up truck/trailer bringing up the rear. (What I didn’t know was that truck had a hard top cover, ugh) I also failed to realize the parade was approximately 2 miles in length. They don’t call me The Dazed and Confuzed One for nothing.

It wasn’t all that bad walking and tossing candy to the kids. It brought back fond memories of my childhood. And it had been over 20 years since I’d been to a parade. As the parade progressed, the roaring of the bikes became background noise. Tossing candy to the older kids and handing suckers to the toddlers filled a void. Handing candy to elderly folks that accepted with enthusiasm and which obviously brought them joy. It’s not very often that anyone can bring joy to strangers by the simplest of means.

What filled my soul with joy and amazement were the military personnel watching the parade that shook each riders hand and thanked them as they rode past. I made a point to shake each ones (military) hand also, thanking them for their dedication and service. I lost a nephew in Iraq back in February 2006 and wished to gawd that I'd had known about the Patriot Guard Riders. Issues would've been dealt with simply and respectfully. The only saving grace that day at Arlington National Cemetery was the weather conditions. I'm sure that deterred some protesters and delayed allot of them traveling. Its one point to participate in an activity and it’s another to be thanked and appreciated openly. As we made our way down Main Street, we approached the announcer’s table. I barely heard them announcing the Patriot Guard Riders above the roaring and ensuing crowd applause. As we rounded the corner, it seemed the parade went faster. I was having troubles keeping my tailgunner position and that’s when I realized the tailgunner pick-up had no room for me. I quickly fell behind and timidly assumed a support role. Next thing I knew, I was 4 blocks behind and no chance to resume my tailgunner position.

Needless to say, I was last man back to the staging area and winded. We sat around for 30 minutes or so, thank gawd, and talked about the day’s event. I was thanked by most of the riders and informed I could assist them anytime. I’m even contemplating joining the PGR in a support type capacity. As I talked with one rider, he stated it was nice doing events like the parade. Most events they attend are solemn and needless to say, depressing. It was their way to let off some steam, enjoy a good days ride and revitalize the camaraderie they all appreciate. These riders are dedicated to their cause and have the utmost respect for our military personnel that give a little and those that gave their all. I for one, have a new respect for the Patriot Guard Riders. And I will venture to say, the community has gained a new appreciation and respect for these Patriot Guard Riders. Thank you Pinky and DNR for allowing me to participate in this event. An event that will be a cherished memory.

“We must build a new world, a far better world - one in which the eternal dignity of man is respected.” ~ Harry S Truman

No comments: