Friday, September 01, 2006

Friday Burn-out

I am burned out folks…sitting here typing this feeling completely drained. It’s been an exhausting week with working, doing yard work and assisting with homework. Yesterday Lil Dazd and I went for eye exams. I’ve desperately needed new glasses for at least 2 years now. Not that my eyesight has changed drastically but rather from something I did.

If you are an outdoorsy type person like me, insect repellant is an essential part of your gear. Most people buy Off from their local market. Yes it works great if you’re sitting comfortably outside drinking your favorite concoction. It’s usually has 29% Deet and works quite effectively. However, if your out and about hiking through dense jungles braving Lions, Tigers and Bears (Oh My!) then 29% just ain’t gonna cut it. I buy an insect repellant that claims to have 98% Deet. I’m not scientific by anyone’s stretch of their imagination so I am skeptical of that claim. But I will tell you, it works a whole helluva lot better then the basic brands. And with my sweating during any type of exercise, no matter how minimal, it’s proven itself time and time again.

Where was I? Oh yes…so one day a couple years ago I was spraying this insect repellant and my Someheimers kicked in. I failed to notice the wind direction and when I sprayed it on my extended arm, it blew back in my face. Yes folks…Deet will destroy anything over time. Especially fabrics and plastics such as spectacle frames, watch crystals or straps, combs, and handles of pocket knives. And protective coverings of lenses of said spectacle frames. Yes folks…it has destroyed the lense portion of my spectacles. Actually they’re plastic lenses with a scratch resistance coating. Lately it’s become so bad that folks always tell me to clean my glasses. I just hand them the spectacles and tell them to “knock themselves out” and if they become clean, I’ll have a new respect for them. How can I see? Since it took allot of time to morph into the hideous spectacles, I can see comfortably. But I’ll admit its becoming increasingly difficult.



Insurance…Thank Gawd! Total for eye exam and new spectacles came to a grand total of $391.00. Out-of-pocket expense totaled $34.44. YAY!!! I am so thrilled the missus signed us up for Prescription Eye Care. Yes, I can only use it once a year. But the frames and lenses are under warranty for one year. As long as I don’t let the dog eat them, they’re covered. And as the nice optical technician informed me, “As long as you don’t spray Deet on them, sir, we’ll replace them free of charge.”

My new spectacles will be ready Tuesday or Wednesday. I can’t wait to see again!

I’ll be taking this 3-day weekend and making the most of it. We are heading out tomorrow for some 3 day lake-side fun and relaxation. You all have a great weekend!

No comments: